V wrote in to share some thoughts about the Supergirl Season 6 episode titled “Phantom Menaces”!
Hey, Super Friends!
Here are my thoughts whilst watching Supergirl 6×03!
- Brainy shouting at Lex on the TV is me every time I watch Question Time (UK political show where the public ask questions to a panel of politicians, journalists and comedians).
- Lena “This is a thoroughly unpleasant surprise” – girl yes! The eye roll really completed that vibe for me.
- Every time I see the Phantoms, I get incredibly strong Buffy vibes and I’m okay with that.
- I’m living for the Brainy/Lena team up. They are SO smart.
- Ah so this imp is related to Mxy, so I guess Mxy returning for S6 is actual plot rather than throwback? Much preferred.
- Setting fire to a children’s hospital, Lex? Seriously? I feel like the viewers kind of like Lex because he’s a likeable villain so far, despite being dastardly. But we, like Lena, really needed another push to realise/be reminded how evil he really is. So we can hate him. Mission accomplished imo.
- Brainy going into explicit detail over Lex’s murder plot was unnerving and outstanding. I really love Brainy’s development here. He calls it out himself that since removing his inhibitors, he’s suddenly experiencing intense emotion and then completely explodes and breaks down with Lena.
- Directly into the scene with J’onn and Alex talking about how we need to feel emotions and not box them away. Bit of an obvious theme for the season so far lol. Not that I’m not into it.
- Alex’s reaction to Brainy’s Star Trek reference (that he was so proud of) was just hilarious. I appreciate when we get moments of levity like that to break up some of the intense angst and drama constantly thrown at us this episode.
- Lena’s ability to code while there are potentially fatally dangerous fights happening in her immediate vicinity is incredibly impressive. But then, she is Lena Luthor. She can basically do anything.
- WOOOO LENA YOU GO GIRL! “I just love me more”
- Alex and Kelly moving in together? Great, I guess? I still don’t really care about their relationship to be honest. But I mean, if Alex is happy, I’m happy 🤷🏻♀️
- Kara trudging around the Phantom Zone just building a crew with each passing episode. A band of loyal followers. It’s just so on brand and I love that for her.
- No Andrea or William this episode? I’m not mad about that… Hoping we don’t get a heavy CatCo episode next week. Unless we get actual plot development and not just unnecessary exposition they don’t have time to explore.
- Where was Nia all episode!??? They could really have used her help with the Phantoms. They didn’t even give us a poor one-liner to explain her absence. I’m not sure if that’s better or worse.
All in all, great episode for the Brainy and Lena of it all. Incredible acting and I’m really enjoying seeing this less robotic side of Brainiac 5. Kind of reminds me of Anya in Buffy when she became human and started to care about stuff and didn’t understand how to handle loss/death/emotion. It was a great storyline for her character then and this similar one with Brainy is also important I think.
Can we just take a moment to appreciate Lena’s suit and her braids this episode. On point, as always. Queen Lena.